Sunday, July 23, 2006

The Hunger

There is something I call the hunger and I can often recognize it in others. It is a hunger to know more and go beyond our normal school-book learning. I remember searching for this elusive grail. I searched and searched looking everywhere from the occult to the traditional to no avail. There was something I wanted out of life that the 9 to 5 middle class existence could never satisfy. I was not even sure what it was, I just knew that I had to look. Heck, I wasn't even sure it existed. But something kept driving me on and pushing my boundaries beyond what was in easy grasp. I have always had this hunger to understand more, ask why not just about why the sky is blue but why there is a sky.

In 1971 I was doing an interview with one of my favorite groups called the Incredible String Band. They just happened to be Scientologists and they told me some pretty hard core stuff that gave me a twinge and made me want to look for more. I started my first course in communication skills the next day and have not looked back since. The hunger was getting fed for the first time in my life. The hunger is still being fed, I will not be completely satisfied until I get completely free!

No comments: